Please wait... SalonHero: Beauty through the eyes of a man

Monday 23 April 2012

Beauty through the eyes of a man



Thinking about it, I would consider myself an anomaly. Why? Because I ask questions, spark conversations, give feedback unprompted and take interest in minute details. I'm not claiming to be more diligent than anyone else, but I simply like hearing people's opinions and letting them know mine to constantly improve what already exists. I'm also not afraid to share my cosmetic, health and hair tips.

I get my hair cut on average every three weeks and trimmed whenever on a photoshoot and someone has scissors, I used to sunbed once every six weeks for £2/time (bargain), I had my eyebrows done monthly,I had a chest and stomach wax once, I have also touched the tip of the mani-pedi iceberg before with worryingly positive outcomes. In total, I would say I spend around 50 pounds per month in beauty and hair treatments.

Those who know me have finished giggling with an orchestra of "but of course he does" and those who don't are probably asking themselves: Why is he sharing this? What I struggle to understand is why more men don't. Needless to say when conversing, men are not really forthcoming nor interested in this topic. We are sheltered when it comes to our beauty routines and methods, I personally don't understand why.

My first theory is that you use your stylist/products as a slice of individuality, like clothing, you wouldn't want one of your friends with exactly the same style. If one of your friends had a carbon copy of your routine, visited all the same professionals with the same frequency, would you feel like they had stolen a little bit of your exterior?

My second is perhaps down to human nature and draws us back to our first point. We value our friendships and hold them close to heart. The business relationships we share are functional, but these relationships with the salon professional aren't business relationships - it's the personal touch we value and hold close. Not everyone will introduce one of their friends to the rest of them, there is the element of jealousy when one of your friends get closer acquainted with another friend than you and there is good reasoning for the term third wheel.

Maybe we should all view this relationship with the person cutting your hair or filing your nails as a more of a pure commodity. What I'm saying is, they don't just have one product of importance - they have two: their treatment and themselves and what we don’t give credence to is that they are just that; both products.

The qualities mentioned earlier on: curiosity, a desire to share, the willingness to give feedback - I'm a maven without the expertise. I push the word, not because they ask but because I enjoy. Other people aren't so simple. They need asking. You're a stylist and you want repeat business, unfortunately, you're not going to be so lucky as to get me fall in your lap 5 times a day, therefore you have to ask the questions. We all know recommendation is key but without prompt, it won't happen. and you're relying on a service that is very difficult to judge for true value (I, for one, couldn't tell you if my £50 a time haircut is genuinely any better than a £6 barber job). Understandably adding layers to the job is tough but you have to be a salesperson, skilled practitioner and a customer service expert.

So what should you do? It really is simple, just tell me to re-book! Don't rely on the salon, tell me to recommend my friends. Simple. Easy.

Secondly and finally, to the people in the seat, like me: share. Tell your friends about your treatments, products and routines. Don't wait for David Beckham to do something before you might think it possibly, could, might be ok, I suppose. They are running themselves as a business and if you value their service then shout it from the hilltops.

I am an anomaly but I really shouldn't be. Never be afraid to give your opinion and we will see the progression quicker and, of course, if you’ve ever been on a sales course you’ll know that your salon professional will be overwhelmed with thanks that they don’t have to do the same.

I would be more than happy to read your feedback and get your opinion on this article so do not hesitate to leave a comment below or to drop me an email to danny.jacobs@salonhero.co.uk

4 comments:

  1. Hi there,thanks for the response. Glad I could scrape some emotion from the bottom of the barrel there! If you enjoyed that you'll love my second post, it's coming soon. Watch this space and enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've deleted the above, in case certain words are found to be offensive to other readers.

    The point that I intended to make was simply that it has always been a female attribute to want to look attractive, or, more attractive by use of make-up or any other superficial beauty product. It's perfectly acceptable for a man to have or want to have a nice hair cut, naturally clean nails and perhaps a toned body from working out at a gym four times per week. So call me old fashioned for being a 'man-man', but all of this fake tanning and anal bleaching should be left to the girls; they pull it off better.

    To me, I think that the interior of a homosexual is somewhat ambiguous to that of a heterosexual and therefore I think it is also acceptable for gays to use female products to look & feel good. So unless the author of this piece is gay, I think he's extremely vein.

    Women + superficial beauty products = Perfectly acceptable.

    GAY Men + superficial beauty products = Perfectly acceptable.

    MEN + superficial beauty products = a vein human being, or, a closet homosexual.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's certainly a bigoted point of view. If you raid the wash bags of all of your friends I think you'll find that their choice in product spans beyond the realms of pure utilitarian. Even if you buy a deodorant that is marketed to you as a 'man' you are still pandering to this 'superficial' existence that you degrade in your comments. Take a look at that male directed hair product you use sparsely, that black or silver deodorant you see as necessary and maybe most importantly that mach-3-action-man-turbo-XL-I'm-a-bloke that you use to remove your facial hair - are all of your products at the corner of the utility curve based on quality vs value, I think not.

    You simply have a stop point of how far you let marketing effect you and the points made in my article say you shouldn't wait for some celebrity to dictate what it is you feel like trying and sharing. Be your own person, you're living under an ideal of the caveman, I live without ideal and just by the opportunities presented to me - I'm more than confident in my appearance with or without a wax or a manipedi but sometimes some indulgence is a good thing. Have you ever had a massage? Think about it, it's not just the outcome, it's the routine.

    Again, I really do appreciate your time for the feedback.

    ReplyDelete