Please wait... SalonHero: How far are you willing to go to look perfect?

Tuesday 15 May 2012

How far are you willing to go to look perfect?


Whilst skimming through the Metro newspaper, an article caught my eye which I thought was worth blogging about - “I’ll go under the knife before I’ll be your wife”. The article outlined that wives-to-be are splurging on pre-wedding cosmetic surgery so that they look “perfect” on their wedding day. This coincided with the world buzzing about Valeria Lukyanova (as seen on the left) - aka the Barbie Model. So I figured I would weigh in with my 2 cents on cosmetic surgery, alternatives to going under the knife and 21st century concept of Beauty!

First and foremost let me make perfectly clear that, in my opinion, cosmetic surgery is a good thing. There have been countless cases where tragedy has struck and victims of fires, car crashes and other dreadful accidents have been left deformed. There is no argument that advances in cosmetic surgery have enabled these people to live a “normal” life. There are other cases where people have been born with a feature which drains them of any self confidence. It can be argued that in some cases it will be beneficial to these people to get plastic surgery in the same way people without hair can buy a wig.
However, what this blog refers to is the cosmetic surgery for the sake of vanity. The botox, the boob jobs, the tummy tucks and the odd lift here and there. Is this necessary? Are there alternative ways to look your best on your big day without invasive procedures? Is it safe?

Double Dip Recession or DD Bra size?

‘1 in 10 brides to be (Metro Survey) spent on botox and breast enlargements prior to their wedding day, whilst 50 percent have paid for tooth veneers (at £750 per tooth)’. This is staggering! The powers that be are announcing that we are on the verge of entering a double dip recession and even so people are still lavishly spending on cosmetic surgery. Nothing makes me happier than people saving up so that they can have the wedding of their dreams, in fact, we all need something to look forward to in this turbulent economic state. But do you really want to be spending it on plastic surgery rather than wedding dresses, make-up artists, photographers and let’s see...the actual wedding itself! What happened to the good old days where people started their diet the day they got engaged?

Safety Implications?
I am fortunate. The only time I have ever had general anaesthetic is to get two wisdom teeth removed and let me tell you, I am not looking forward to getting my uppers removed! My massive question is why would you voluntarily go under the knife and have foreign substance injected into you?

The latest scandal of the French PIP prostheses is prevailing evidence that cosmetic surgery is not without its complications. Granted, much progress has been made in this field, but there is no such thing as zero risk and you could pay a higher than what you thought by having this kind of surgery. Also, due to the speed of development in this field (mainly induced by the bags of cash being thrown at it), we cannot be sure of the long term ramifications of having these foreign substances injected, implanted or inserted into your body.
I am not trying to put you off, just making you aware of the risk.

I just don’t want wrinkles!

I completely understand that you want to look your best for the wedding day and there is nothing more beautiful than a radiant bride. You want to fill 3 photo albums with pictures of your special day to show your children and grandchildren. Since starting SalonHero I have spoken to beauticians, hairdressers and makeup artists and I have seen first hand that they can completely transform the way you look for your special day. Do you really think models look the way they do without a good makeup artist. Even burns and wound affects for films are done using makeup (as well as cgi graphics). Finding a great makeup artist is likely to be cheaper and is definitely safer than plastic surgery.

So, am I way off the mark in thinking it is crazy that women are spending so much money on cosmetic surgery just for wedding pictures?! If I am, please don’t hesitate to comment.

No comments:

Post a Comment